Thursday, March 8, 2007

Remembering Captain America


By no means do I want to minimize the tragedy of Steve Roger's death. Captain America was an American icon. Although I never cared for his comic personally, or his character until recently, I have lately realized that I should have. Somehow Captain America blended the attributes of Batman and Superman in one person. He was the perfect boy scout, unfailingly hopeful, and of course patriotic, like Superman (who is actually an immigrant to the states. Although he is a legal alien), and yet he was just a man, he performed his heroics without the aid of invulnerability, flight, or adamantium claws or spidey senses. He was just a man who could out-think and out-manoeuvre his enemies. Like Batman.
But now he is dead.
Luckily, north America still has some patriotic guardian: the lesser known, clearly ripped-off, Captain Canuck. (Don't get me started about what that hero says about our Canadian culture. I would prefer to remember that Superman was half created by a Canadian, or remember that Wolverine is from my home province.)
Until Steve Rogers returns, which is bound to happen, no hero ever truly dies- look at Superman (died in 1993), or Jesus (died 33 A.d.). Captain America will come back. It's inevitable. Because he represents America and America can't be conquered. And what better hero to die in a pitch to sell more comics than the embodiment of American Capitalism itself.
May you rest in Peace Captain America. Hopefully you won't be gone for long. But until your return, remember that Captain Canuck has got things covered.
But it won't be as flashy.

3 comments:

mere said...

I just paid the american government $300 to stay here, now that I know I'm not as protected as I would be in Canada, I regret it.

erin wright said...

is that you on the cover of captain cannuck? come on i'm your big sister you can be honest with me. doing some extra modeling on the side... miss you.

jonathan rollins said...

What do you mean Captain Canuck isn't as flashy? Check out those PANTS!! I can't decide if they're more glam or Santa. From the waist down, the Captain looks like a totally ripped Santa Claus. Holy Ho-ho-hold the fur-trimmed bell-bottoms, Batman!! And you're sister's right: you did photo shop yourself in there, didn't you?